Category: International Divorce
How do I get a foreign divorce order enforced in the United States?
Before a foreign divorce order can be enforced in the United States, the foreign order must be “established” as a local order by your state. To establish the order as a local order, it must be recognized by the court in your state as “a valid order.” Certain constitutional requirements must be met. The local court must first determine whether the foreign country had jurisdiction (which is “the right and power to interpret and apply the law” in an area) over the parties – that is, you and your spouse, or you and your children, for example – when the order was issued. To make this determination, the part of the judgment being enforced must be examined.